Scholarships and Grants

Aid is available for graduate and undergraduate degrees in the form of grants, scholarships and educational tax credits and deductions.




Scholarships are specific to colleges and are awarded to students for certain prerequisite attributes - belonging to a particular state, outstanding academic performance, for a particular field of study or a special talent. Often churches, civic organizations or private companies will sponsor students. These scholarships are sometimes discounts on fees and tuition and will not require repayment. The student will need to check with the particular college or university's financial aid department to find out what is on offer and the rules for qualifying. Some examples are: Anne Louise Barrett Scholarship for Music, Lowell L. Bryan Scholarship for Sports, Chemistry and Biochemistry Scholarship at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

The scholarship resources on the Web are numerous.
Some good ones are: StudentAid2.ed.gov, Scholarships.com, Fastweb.com.

College and university websites will also list out the scholarships available. [Source: StudentAid2.ed.gov]

To find scholarships at a specific university, the Google University Search Engine can be of help. Also visit Financial Aid for Your Education for additional links and information.

Private Scholarships



Funded and sponsored by individuals, trusts, companies, organizations or associations, these scholarships are given to students who fulfill a certain set of criteria. The Coca Cola scholarships, awarded by the Coca-Cola Foundation, awards 250 scholarships to deserving scholars, both at the national and regional scholar levels.

The Jeanette Rankin Women's Education Fund provides scholarships annually to women 35 years of age or older who are attempting undergraduate or vocational degrees.

The Gates Millennium Scholars program provides scholarships for African Americans, Native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans and Hispanic Americans. The Boy Scouts of America, the American Library Association, the Society of Women Engineers are but a few of the long list of associations that sponsor scholarships.
Lists of these scholarships are available at: Students.gov; UsaStudyGuide.com; and Scholarships.com.

College and University websites also have lists of private scholarships available; for example, the Burger King scholarship at Michigan State University.

Government Grants



A number of federal grants are available:

  • Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) - The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program was created by Congress and provides grants of approximately 4,000 USD per year to students who wish to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that takes in students from low-income families. The first TEACH Grants will be awarded to eligible students for the 2008-2009 school year.

  • Federal Pell Grant - Unlike a loan, a federal Pell Grant needs no repayment. Normally, they are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered the cornerstone of federal financial aid along with which other forms of aid may be combined.




  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - This program addresses those undergraduates who have severe financial need. This grant does not have to be repaid.


  • The Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) - This Grant was introduced in 2006-2007 for first-year college students who graduated from high school after January 1, 2006.

  • The National Science & Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant
    (National SMART Grant) -Also known as the National Smart Grant, it is for full-time students in the third and fourth years of undergraduate study, who are also eligible for availing the Federal Pell Grant and who have chosen physical, life, or computer sciences, mathematics, technology, or engineering or in a foreign language deemed essential to national security as a major.
[Source: StudentAid.ed.gov]


Grants by specific Government departments or agencies are available at: Grants.gov

Campus-Based Aid

Each of the participating schools administers these programs: The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), and Federal Perkins Loan programs. Students will need to check if their college offers these facilities.

  • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - These are meant for undergraduates who are in severe financial difficulties. No repayment is required.

  • Federal Work-Study - This program provides part-time jobs for graduate and under-graduate students, allowing them to earn enough to cover tuition and fees through community service or study related work.

  • Federal Perkins Loan - A low-interest loan for both graduate and under-graduate students with financial difficulties, given out of government funds and administered by the college. This loan is to be repaid after graduation.



Research Funding and Fellowships



Graduate research is supported and funded by numerous fellowships but is based on field of study. Some examples are: Graduate Research fellowships from National Science Foundation, Fulbright Program from the US Department of State, Saul T. Wilson Scholarship program from the US Department of Agriculture, the Computational Science Graduate Fellowship sponsored by the US Department of Energy.

Additional Resources:

Students.gov/Financial Aid
Students.gov/Scholarships and Grants

Return to Articles and Info>>

We couldn't find any schools for . Browse the link to find what you are looking for.

Alternative content